Kinta River Education Programme (Second Phase)
The first phase of the programme was a success in achieving its targets and as an appreciation for the commitments and the support received from the stakeholders, GAB Foundation has decided to extend the implementation of the programme until end of 2017. This is to empower more community as project leaders and support their outreach programmes. One of the key focuses of the second phase will be to produce youth as the project leaders either from local communities or learning institutions.
Duration: July 2015 - December 2017
Funder: GAB Foundation
Partners: Department of Irrigation and Drainage Kinta, Ipoh City Council, Department of National Unity and Integrated, Department of Environment, University Tunku Abdul Rahman, State & District Education Department
Target Groups: Local community, students and business community, public
- To empower and further strengthen the proposed target groups and other stakeholders by education, knowledge sharing and skills on River monitoring and Awareness Programmes in order to produce new local leaders and youth representatives as a sustainable approach.
- Organised Youth Environment Leadership Workshop with University Tunku Abdul Rahman and Youth Community of Kinta River Basin;
- Organised a capacity buidling programme with local community on river care activities;
- Organised two projects with local community and youths on waste management;
- Conducted educational and awareness programmes with local schools on river care and monitoring programme and demonstration on waste management;
- Organised RIVER Ranger training programme for school students;
- Organised annual river water quality testing with UTAR; and
- Organised 4 open day programmes with youth groups for public, local communities and media on river and waste management.