Sungai Penchala River Education Programme
Sungai Penchala River Education Programme is the expansion of Sungai Way W.A.T.E.R Project (Working Actively through Education and Rehabilitation) which began in 2007. Sungai Penchala is about 14km long with about 4km of it located within the jurisdiction of DBKL. It runs through urban area, industrial and residential area within Petaling Jaya before flowing into the infamous Klang River.
Duration: 2015 - 2017
Funder: GAB Foundation
Project website: www.waterproject.net.my
Partners: Department of Irrigation and Drainage Selangor,Department of Irrigation and Drainage Kuala Lumpur, National Landscape Department, Majlis Bandaraya Petaling Jaya (MBPJ), Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur (DBKL), Lembaga Urus Air Selangor (LUAS)
Target groups: Local communities in Penchala River Basin, educational institution and business community
The objective of this programme is to protect and enhance Sg Penchala, urban river through local community engagement. In addition, the programme aims to promote and support local community, school, bussiness and other stakeholders' localised initiatives, as well as outreaching larger target groups through Mobile River Care Unit - a mobile river care education programme.
- A technical committee called WATER Project Technical Committee was established to oversee the project progress;
- Conducted business community programme (e.g. TOT for Food Operators and training on waste segregation and waste audit) for targeted food courts within Penchala River Basin;
- Seven local communities living within Penchala River Basin were trained on river management;
- Five educational institutions participated in Training of Trainers (ToT) programme on river management. The project also trained a group of kindergarten teachers on river and waste management;
- An environmental ToT camp for youth involving 65 youth was held to instill environmental awareness particularly on river;
- The project is also working closely with Yayasan Chow Kit to outreach and educate youngsters on river care activities;
- Conducted 8 outreach activities using Mobile River Care Unit
- Established a River Care Education Centre at upstream of Sg Penchala at Bukit Kiara, KL
- Establishent of Sungai Penchala Information Centre and Sungai Penchala Open Classroom to engage public on environmental awareness.