Community-based Mangrove Conservation and Sustainable Livelihoods Programme In Pulau Tanjung Surat, Johor
The Global Environment Centre (GEC) and Aramco Asia Singapore (AAS) had previously partnered in 2018 until 2020 planted a total of 12,620 mangrove trees in Pulau Tanjung Surat, Johor.
Continuing to the 2nd phase of Aramco’s Malaysia mangrove planting initiative, GEC has partnered with Aramco Overseas Malaysia (AOM) Sdn. Bhd in 2022 to support community-based mangrove conservation and rehabilitation in Pulau Tanjung Surat area and to support the Pertubuhan Sahabat Hutan Bakau Pulau Tanjung Surat (PSHBPTS) who are pro-active at continuing the mangrove conservation and rehabilitation efforts. This project will also benefit the B40 members of PSHBPTS through sustainable livelihood activities.
Duration: 2022 – 2025 (3 years)
Funder: Aramco Overseas Malaysia (AOM) Sdn. Bhd
Partner: Johor State Forestry Department
- Planting 9,000 mangrove trees which covers an area of 4.5ha with the participation from Aramco Volunteers, local communities, school students and key stakeholders;
- Community nursery establishment;
- Patrolling and monitoring activity;
- Survival count and carbon assessment;
- Public awareness;
- Mangrove-based products development; and
- Promoting the ecotourism activities.
For more information about the project, please e-mail us at email@example.com