Empowering Orang Asli community in sustainable livelihoods and community leadership development in Mukim Tanjung Duabelas, Kuala Langat District, Selangor
The beneficiary of this project is the B40 Orang Asli Temuan community in Mukim Tanjung Dua Belas from three villages located adjacent to the Kuala Langat North Forest Reserve (KLNFR) - Kampung Orang Asli Bukit Cheeding, Kampung Orang Asli Busut Baru and Kampung Orang Asli Pulau Kempas.
The Temuan community who earns on daily basis, depends on self-employment, agricultural work, collection and selling of non-timber forest products for livelihood and sustenance. During the pandemic of COVID-19, they are adversely impacted by the Movement Control Orders due to difficulties to earn an income.
With the lack of sustainable livelihood options to generate steady income, the dwindling status of KLNFR as a forest reserve which they depend on and the lack of knowledge and skills of the youngsters to lead the community towards solving environmental, economic and legal issues at the local levels, it is imperative to develop long-term and tailored strategies and support to improve their socio-economic status.
Therefore, the main goal of this project is to strengthen the adaptive capacity and welfare of selected Orang Asli community by providing strategic options for sustainable livelihood and youth development via diversification of economic options, sustainable employment opportunities as well as human capital and skills development.
Duration: June 2021 – May 2023 (2 years)
Funder: Yayasan Hasanah (YH)
- To empower the Orang Asli community of Mukim Tanjung Dua Belas via capacity development, livelihood enhancement, innovative diversification of economic prospects and development of a sustainable community financial model.
- Activity 1.1: Assessment and development of suitable trainings to empower the Temuan community as the community spokesperson and coordinators
- Activity 1.2: Development of Temuan Culture Information Centre at Kampung Orang Asli Busut Baru or Pulau Kempas
- Activity 1.3: Support the livelihood enhancement through development of village communal vegetable plots and improvement in current agriculture practices to supplement the community nutrition and food security
- Activity 1.4: Development of a sustainable community financial model business plan
- Conducted baseline survey to identify the sociodemographic, needs and roles of the Temuan community.
- Appointed experts to conduct trainings on proper methodology and tools to:
- collect data and documenting information related to history and socio-cultural values; and
- collect and supply relevant data to develop village and community profiles, traditional knowledge, community arts and ethno-botany via mentor-mentee approach.
For more information about the project, please e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org