River of Life Public Outreach Programme Phase 5
Duration: 2017 - 2020
Funder: Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) Malaysia
Partners: Kementerian Wilayah Persekutuan, Dewan Bandaraya Kuala Lumpur
- General public,
- Educational instituitional and students,
- Local communities,
- Food establishment, hawkers, wet markets and workshops, and
- Industries, corporations and developers.
Phase 5 of POP aims to address pollution by:
- Educating the public on common do’s and don’ts as well as other skills to preserve the river;
- Developing and promoting Best Management Practices (BMPs) linked to other thirteen (13) ROL key initiatives;
- Promoting a sense of ownership toward the river; and
- Initiating a long term and sustainable change in behavior towards conserving the river.
Through targeted outreach, awareness on the RoL project, river care and pollution impact has increased through awareness campaigns, river adoption activities, volunteerism and media and social media outreach. The project secured more than 42,000 participations in 385 ROLPOP5 activities, with a total of 15 km of Klang River stretches being monitored and 8.2 km total of Klang River stretch adopted by the local communities and organisations. One River Open Classroom and four Community Centres successfully established under ROLPOP5.
For more information about the project, please e-mail us at email@example.com