To support the protection of the environment and sustainable use of natural resources to meet local, regional and global needs through strategic partnerships with communities and like-minded organisations.
- Promote integrated management of biodiversity and water resources, focusing on community involvement and biodiversity conservation.
- Promote protection and sustainable use of forests and wetlands, focusing on integrated management for biodiversity and climate change.
- Enhance awareness, understanding and capacity, as well as partnerships between different organisations & sectors to address environmental issues.
OUR MODE OF OPERATION
- Partnerships with other like-minded organisations and communities
- Building cross-sectoral coalitions
- Supporting active participation of local communities and other stakeholders
- Ensuring open and effective access to information
- Facilitating implementation of global and regional environment conventions
- Demonstrating practical options for environmental restoration and management
- Documenting and promoting best management practices
WHO WE ARE
The Global Environment Centre (GEC) is a non-profit organisation, established in 1998 to address key environmental issues of global importance – such as climate change, biodiversity and water resources . GEC is based in Malaysia but supports activities worldwide. It has field programmes in more than 10 countries and coordinated a number of regional and global networks. Our key approach is to bring together multi-stakeholder partnerships involving communities, government agencies, private sector and others to address common environmental challenges.
GEC is passionate in its work and welcomes active participation and partnership in its activities. Its main activities are organized according to four core programmes :
- Forest and Biodiversity Programme
- Outreach and Partnership Programme
We have a proven track record in our work and have gained recognition at local, national, regional and international levels.