W.A.T.E.R Project: Sungai Penchala River Programme - Water Stewardship
More than 90% of our water resources come from the rivers and yet, only 47% of our rivers remain clean. Therefore, the core elements of this programme involve river education and rehabilitation coupled with strategic partnerships with relevant Government agencies and local communities.
The project promotes balancing of water usage for intake and supply through improvement of wastewater, storm water and sullage water management and empowerment of local community.
Under W.A.T.E.R Project – Water Stewardship Agenda, Sungai Penchala River Education Programme (including Sungai Way) will continue from its previous phases while phasing out the Sungai Kinta River Education Programme (by empowering relevant agencies and stakeholders to take charge of their water sources).
In addition, W.A.T.E.R Project: Water Stewardship for Sungai Selangor is added to embark its rehabilitation journey through stakeholders’ empowerment.
Duration: 2018 - 2020
Funder: SPARK Foundation
Project Website: http://www.waterproject.net.my/
To reduce stress on local water resource and ensure watershed security through the following objectives:
- To continue the Sungai Penchala River Education Programme (including Sungai Way) and phase out the Sungai Kinta River Education Programme
- To maintain or enhance river ecosystem health through balancing water intake and discharge activities
- To empower targeted groups on good water stewardship
- To encourage participatory approaches in river basin projects by relevant government agencies
- Distributed thimbles (water conservation tool) to 650 households
- Water quality is improved from Class II to Class I
- Successfully installed Rain Water Harvesting (RWH) at a local neighbourhood – Block 1 Desa Mentari
Read more about:
- Sungai Penchala River Education Programme
- Kinta River Education Programme (phase 1)
- Kinta River Education Programme (phase 2)
For more information of this project, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org